Furniture system M 125
1950/53 and 1956
Hans Gugelot for Wohnbedarf AG, Zurich
Further development 1956 for Wilhelm Bofinger, Ilsfeld
Hans Gugelot started to develop a modular construction system in 1950. The assembly of prefabricated side panels, base panels, back panels, doors and shelves made it possible to piece together as many furniture types as needed and to rebuild and enlarge later if necessary.
M 125 qualifies as one of the most revolutionary modular furniture and had been produced between 1957 and 1988 largely unchanged.
Initially the modular furniture M 125 had been developed for Wohnbedarf AG in Zurich and was introduced at the Sample Fair of Basel in 1953. The M stands for (= Maßstab in German), 125 for the scale unit the system is based on. Its multiple gives the measures of the furniture units.
To produce industrially at furniture factory Wilhelm Bofinger construction and completion had to be changed essentially. The processing of the wooden elements was simplified, the free standing drawbars were put into notched side panels and became invisible that way. The sides and bases were plastic-coated in a very light off-white. The frontlines in a ready-oiled Afrormosia were edge-foiled in brown or black.
The complete system is composed of few elements which can be assembled quickly to sideboards, shelves, cabinets and room dividing wall units.
In 1958, the range was expanded by office-furniture which can easily be integrated into living areas.
© 2007 - 2013 gugelot gmbh, Hamburg Webdesign: webhouse, Hamburg